- Decide on the timing. Weekends are normally good. Whether you give a brunch, an afternoon get-together or an evening party is a matter of personal taste.
- Estimate how many guests you can accommodate. For large parties, it may make sense to hire a small marquee with tables and chairs.
First steps towards a garden party
We admit it. Some tips are only meant for larger parties, which are currently taboo. But many also make sense for small celebrations or barbecues.
Summertime is party time. And the best place to party is outdoors. In the garden or on the patio. We reveal the first steps towards a successful garden party.
- Draw up the guest list. Think particularly about which people are compatible (important).
- Consider what mood suits your guests. Should it be rustic and cosy? An elegant party? Or an exuberant, undemanding get-together?
- The right theme may set your imagination soaring. Communicate the theme in the invitations, and also bear it in mind when choosing food and decorations.
- Set your budget. Make a note of overruns during the planning phase so that you have control of the financial side. A good way of cushioning the cost impact is a party where everyone brings some food. You'll find more information on this subject under «Type of party and planning food».
- Make a to-do list that you can add to and work through systematically in your later thinking.
More about cool garden parties
Refreshing iced tea recipes Arranged in long drink glasses and served like an aperitif on the rocks: homemade iced teas are the cult drink for hot days. Flowery place cards Sometimes it can be important who is at the table with whom. We leave that decision to you. But we show you how original and stylish «place cards» can be. Exotic fruit vases No vacation in sight? Travel not possible? Our decoration tips help to spice up barbecues or small garden parties with a little holiday atmosphere. First steps towards a garden party We admit it. Some tips are only meant for larger parties, which are currently taboo. But many also make sense for small celebrations or barbecues. Planning the type of party and food A barbecue party where everyone is pushing towards the grill or a bring-along party with lots of potato salad? This can be avoided with our tips. With or without alcohol? Which drinks do I offer my guests? And how do I cool all this? Answers to these and other questions and suggestions can be found here. Weather, infrastructure and equipment Seating is scarce, too few dishes, too much heat or even unexpected rain? We'll tell you what you can do about it. Garden party decoration: basics Party theme, wind, rain, cool evenings and darkness: here you can find out how garden party decoration does justice to everything and where you could decorate.